Consulter notre page facebook Consulter notre page instagram
Back to the list

ABBAYE DE BELLEVAUX


Ancient Abbaye of Bellevaux

Bellevaux was founded in 1119 as the first daughter house of the primary abbey of Morimond and as the first cistercian abbey in the Franche-Comté. It's foundation was an initiative of the family de la Roche. Their donations as well as thouse of numerous other nobles in the region assured a rapid growth and prosperity.

Many members of noble families had their tombs in the church, the lateral chapels and the cloister. One inhumation contributed particularly to the fame of the abbey: Peter II archbishop of Tarentaise died in Bellevaux in 1174 and was inhumated, at his own request, in the choir of the church. The widespread veneration lead to his canonization in 1191.

The wars and plagues of the 14th century put an end to the golden age of the abbey. Another crisis was the Thirty Years' War that ravaged the Franche-Comté.

The actual buildings reflect the reacquired economic blossom. The French Revolution marked the end of all monasteries in french territory. The inventory and buildings of Bellevaux abbaye were sold at auction by the Republic in 1791. During the following decades all the buildings, that had not been reconstructed in the 18th century, were demolished. From the huge romanesque church only fragments survive. The actual main building, called 'castle' since the 19th century, is the ancient conventual building of the abbey, constructed 1786-1788 under the direction of Joseph Cuchot, architect in Besançon.

Particularly well preserved is the abbey's hydraulic system. Part of it, northwest of the private property, is currently restored by the municipality of Cirey-lès-Bellevaux and is freely accessible.

Guided visits by appointment

 

Infos

Adress

Ancienne Abbaye de Bellevaux
70190 Cirey-lès-Bellevaux

Visit

Contac

info@bellevaux.eu
Tel. +33 (0)3 84 91 95 34
or 00 41 79 833 04 32 (mobile)

Coordinates 47° 24’ 14,2’’ N 6° 07’ 13,9’’ E

  • Contact information
Address: 70190 CIREY LES BELLEVAUX
Email: info@bellevaux.eu
Website: http://www.valleeognon.fr/


AgendaDetailed agenda

  • 18
    JUL
  • 18
    JUL
  • 19
    JUL
  • 19
    JUL

Guided tour of the Fountain of Etuz (70)

Visite gratuite sur réservation assurée par une guide-confériencière, rdv à 10h30 à la Fontaine.

Read more

Guided tour of the Fountains of Fontenois-les-Montbozon

Visite gratuite sur réservation assurée par une guide-confériencière à 14h30

Read more

Guided visit of the Museum of old stoves and old tools

Dans le cadre des balades insolites et gourmandes.  Sur inscription / RDV à 18h00, au hameau de Courboux à Pennesières (gaufres au feu de bois !)

Read more

Guided visit of the village of Montbozon

Dans le cadre des balades insolites et gourmandes. Sur inscription / RDV à 18h00 à la mairie

Read more


Subscription successfull

ContactBy email

Office de tourisme Pays des 7 Rivières
Place du Souvenir Francais
70190 RIOZ
FRANCE
Tel : +33 3 84 91 84 98

The tourist office is open Monday to Friday from 9.00 to 12.15 to 13.30 to 17.00 and Saturday from 9.00 to 12.30.



Pays des 7 Rivières